Catherine Emma Cloward
25 May 1845 – 5 February 1916

        Jacob Cloward, the patriarch of the Cloward family, served in the War of 1812 as a private in Captain Steele's regiment of the Pennsylvania Militia. Following his service, he retuned to his native Pennsylvania where he married Catherine Ann Pluck in Chester County, Pennsylvania on February 17, 1815. Jacob and Ann settled in the area around Pottsville, Pennsylvania and began raising a family. Seven children were born in Pennsylvania. Around 1829 the family moved to Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware where three more children were born. Their children grew up in Delaware where the older children began to marry and have children of their own. Jacob presided over a tightly knit family as the children and their spouses remained close.

        It was in Wilmington that the Clowards were introduced to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1841. The first to join the church were his son Daniel and and his wife. Over the next two years, Jacob and Ann and all of their children who were of age were also baptized. By the fall of 1843 the entire family moved to Nauvoo, Illinois to join with the Saints. Jacob became personally acquainted with the Prophet Joesph Smith.

        On that fateful morning in June of 1844 when Joseph and Hyrum rode out of Nauvoo to surrender to the authorities in Carthage, Ann told her husband and the children that they would never see the Prophet alive again. The Clowards joined the throng at the Mansion House to view the bodies of Joesph and Hyrum lying side by side in their caskets and took a last look at their beloved Prophet. Later, the Clowards were in the congregation that witnessed the transfiguration of Brigham Young when the mantle of Joseph fell upon him.

        At this point, Catherine Emma Cloward was born into the Cloward Family on May 25, 1845 at Bear Creek, Hancock County, Illinois about twenty five miles southeast of Nauvoo. She was the second child of Daniel Henry Cloward and Ruth Bailey Logan. Her older brother, Joseph, was born in October of 1842 and died in Nauvoo on October 28, 1843.

        While Catherine was just a baby, the Saints in Illinois were severely persecuted and driven from their homes. With others, the Clowards fled Nauvoo and crossed the Mississippi River into Iowa in February of 1846. They traveled some 200 miles across Iowa and camped on the Missouri River at Winter Quarters. A makeshift city of crude log cabins was built to accommodate the refugees as they regrouped.

        The Clowards remained at Winter Quarters for five years. During that time, Catherine was joined by her two brothers, Daniel Henry, Jr. (11 Feb 1848) and Heber C. (17 Dec 1851). In 1851 her grandparents and her Aunt Charlotte and her husband Elias Harmer, and their family crossed the plains. When they arrived in the Utah Territory, they went to Provo to prepare a place for rest of the family to come to the next year. That winter, Catherine's grandfather and the patriarch of the Cloward Family died on December 5, 1851 in Provo.

        When Catherine was seven years old, she set out with her father, mother, her brothers, and the rest of the Cloward Family for the Salt Lake Valley on June 6, 1852 with the David Wood Company. About 288 individuals and about 58 wagons were in the company when it began its journey from the outfitting post at Kanesville, Iowa (now Council Bluffs). The trek was uneventful and there were no problems with the Indians. They arrived in the Salt Lake Valley on September 20, 1852. Upon their arrival in the territory, the entire family went directly to Provo where they established their new home where her father began farming.

        In Provo, Catherine's sister, Mary Jane, was born on February 2, 1853. Then when Catherine was about ten years old, her father suffered a fall resulting in a ruptured blood vessel in his head causing severe brain damage. Due to his mental incapacitates, he was no longer able to live with his family and was placed in an asylum. Under these circumstances, Catherine's mother was released from their marriage of about fifteen years, allowing her to marry again. She then became the second wife of William McKee Faucett on July 27, 1856 in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. In this plural marriage, Catherine's half sister Julie Ann Faucett was born on June 13, 1857 in Provo.

        Over the next few years, Catherine grew into a young woman and caught the eye of the man of her fancy. At age seventeen, she married Lemuel Hague on December 6, 1862 in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. Lemuel, who was 26, was born on November 28, 1836 in Dungworth, Yorkshire, England, the son of Ann Hauge and Thomas Barber. He joined the church and emigrated to Utah. He crossed the plains in 1852, the same year as Catherine, only in a different company.

Lemuel Hague and Catherine Emma Cloward

        They made their home in Springville, Utah County where three children were born to them, Annie Elizabeth (19 Jan 1863), Lemuel Thomas (17 Nov 1864), and Mary Clarinda (11 Mar 1869). Lemuel and Catherine owned their own home and bought one of the first stoves in Utah, for which they paid one hundred ten dollars. It was just a four-holed camp stove. Catherine was very industrious, spinning yarn and weaving cloth. She was a seamstress and even made men's suits.

        In 1867 they bought a span of mules, wagons and harnesses for five hundred dollar. With this team, Lemuel went to work for the railroad building the Transcontinental Railroad. He was killed in an Indian raid at North Platte, Nebraska around 1869. His spirit came to Catherine before it went beyond the veil, she followed him out in the snow in her bare feet. When she returned to the house, Annie was sitting up in bed crying. She said, "Daddy was here and now he is gone." As near as they could tell, that was the day that he was killed. After Lemuel's death, her younger brother, Heber, lived with her.

        During the Black Hawk Indian War in Utah the Indians gave the settlers a lot of trouble. A messenger would come and tell them when they were on the warpath and everyone would take shelter in the schoolhouse. The women and children stayed inside while the men stood guard with their guns. Sometimes it was a false alarm. One night, one of the men said he was going to keep his family at home because he didn't think the Indians would really come. However, the Indians did come and they killed the entire family and burned their home.

Emulous Sanford
        After being a widow for a couple of years, Catherine met Emulous Sanford and his son Will. Emulous's had lived in Oregon and then California when his wife took their infant son and left Emulous and Will. Emulous had three brothers living in Springville and having no other family west of the Mississippi, so he went to Springville.

        Emulous was impressed with the Mormons and with Catherine. He was baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on February 20, 1871 and they were married on March 13, 1871 for time only in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City, Utah. Emulous was born on August 19, 1835 at Canton, St. Lawrence County, New York. He was the son of Ira Sanford, Sr. and Martha Styles. He had come west on the Oregon Trail and settled in Astoria, Oregon where he married Leah Nichols and his son, William Edgar was born on October 25, 1865. At the time of their marriage, Emulous was 35 and Catherine was 25. They began their family with four children, Emolous's son age 5 and Catherine's three children ages 8, 6, and 1½.

        They lived in Springville, Utah for a while where their first two children, twins, were born on February 4, 1872. Ruth Vandetta died the same day and her brother, Joseph L. died about four weeks later on March 8, 1872. They moved from Springville to Warm Creek in the northwest corner of Millard County near the town of Gandy on the Utah/Nevada border, where Carrie Melissa was born on June 18, 1874. From there they moved north to Deep Creek (now Ibapah) in Tooele County also on the Utah/Nevada border where Ella Elizabeth (14 Mar 1877) and Adalisha (25 Mar 1879) who went by Addie were born.

        Having heard good reports from James Dayley of Grantsville about land available for homesteading in Idaho, Emulous and Will went to Idaho In 1879 where he filed on one hundred and sixty acres of land in the Little Basin east of Oakley in Cassia County. That winter they built a cabin on the land and in the spring of 1880 they came back to get the family. While they were away, Carrie became very sick and some of the neighbors didn't think she would live until they returned. Also while they were gone, Annie Elizabeth married Francis Chapman (4 Jul 1879) in Springville, Utah and became the parents of four children. The family, including Annie and her new husband, made the nearly two hundred mile trip to Basin by covered wagon through the desert and mountains and arrived at their new home on June 17, 1880.

        They lived in the one room house for about two years, it having a dirt roof and a dirt floor. It was the largest cabin around the neighborhood. The timber was close by and a lot of it, so they had plenty of wood for fuel and timber to build with. They planted two groves of trees, one south of the house and one east, up by the road.


Catherine Emma Sanford
        There were some Indians living near them in the Basin, Catherine's children played with some of the little Indian children. They liked to take the empty thread boxes and empty spools and make toy wagons with the boxes and use the spools for wheels. Catherine and some of the Indian squaws would sit around, laughing and watching the children play.

        One time three painted warriors came to the house at suppertime asking for food. The children were afraid of them, but Catherine was brave and offered them a cucumber, pronouncing the word for them as they took it. After eating it, they tried to pronounce cucumber and said "cucumber wine-o" or something like that, meaning "good". She also offered biscuits and they said "bis-ee-cutt, wine-o". Therefore, she managed to make friends with them and there were no problems.

        Emulous and other settlers went into the mountains nearby to get logs to built a schoolhouse. It was used for school, church, and recreation for some time. In the summer a bowery was built of willows in front of the schoolhouse for celebrating the Fourth of July and other events. Snow was brought down from the mountains to freeze ice cream as a special treat for these activities. Everybody was happy and had good times with very little expense. Before the schoolhouse was built, they held dances at the Sanford home. People came from all around to dance to an orchestra consisting of a violin and a banjo. Later the church and recreation hall was built.

        Two more sons and two more daughters were added to the family in Basin; Mabel (22 Feb 1882), Arthur Marion (23 Mar 1884), Martha Jane (20 Apr 1886), and Farmer (14 Aug 1889) who only lived two weeks.

        One year in the early days of Basin, it was discovered early in the spring that there were great numbers of cricket larva in the ground ready to hatch, many times more than had ever been noted before. The people knew that when they did come out of the ground they would eat up every bit of vegetation in sight, which would mean disaster for all concerned. They called a day of fasting and prayer, believing that the Lord would deliver them from the menace. The next day it rained, softening the ground and the crickets came out by the millions, the ground crawled with them. That night it froze, killing all of the crickets.

        Every year after the harvest, Emulous loaded a wagon and a trailer with wheat and with four head of horses went to Ogden, Utah to purchase a year's supply of family necessities. He would bring back flour and other food staples as well as clothing, yard goods, bedding and other supplies. The trip would take several days.

Two of Catherine's children:
Carrie Melissa Sanford and
Lemuel Thomas Hague
        As the years passed, they raised their family and one by one the rest of their chidren married and left home. Will married Fanny Ida Barrus (17 Nov 1886) in Grantsville but made their home in Basin, eventually they moved to Weiser, Idaho; they had 1 child. Mary Clarinda married William Wiley Reese (11 May 1888) in Basin. She died in child birth on May 20, 1889 and the baby died 3 months later. Ella Elizabeth married Walter Joseph Bunn (1 Oct 1894) in Basin and later moved to Declo. They had 11 children. Lemuel Thomas married Mary Emma Dayley (25 Dec 1894) and lived in Basin, they had 9 children.

        Carrie Melissa married Charles Wiseman Dayley (15 Jun 1898) in Basin, they homesteaded west of Burley in 1904 and had 8 Children. Addie married William Henry Bunn (25 Feb 1899) in Oakley and later they moved to Burley. They had 5 children. Mable married Thomas Francis Burch (23 Sep 1903) in the Salt Lake Temple, They made their home in Oakley and had 7 children. Martha Jane married Benjamin Franklin Dayley (30 Nov 1905) in Basin lived in Oakley and Burley. They had 11 children. Arthur Marion married Marie McBride (29 Apr 1909) in the Salt Lake Temple Made their home in Oakley and later moved to Burley. They 7 children.

        In Catherine's and Emulous' later years they were surrounded by their children and 64 grandchildren who, for the most part all lived in Cassia County. When they came to visit, they could see them coming and Emulous would go open the gate to let them in. There was a swing for the grandkids and Catherine, a stout jolly woman, always had a jar full of cookies for them.

        Emulous and Catherine lived in their old house until his death on the 12th of July 1912, age 77. He was buried in the cemetery up on the hill overlooking their home. A widow once again, Catherine lived for three years, and died on February 5, 1916, at the age of 71 and was buried at Basin by the side of her husband.

Catherine and Emulous' graves in the Basin Cemetery

* * * * * * * *

The sources for this story are:

-The life story of Jacob Cloward written by Madoline Cloward Dixon, his great-granddaughter . The life story of Daniel Colward by Max Cloward.

-The life story of Catherine Emma Cloward complied by Eunice Frost Read.

-The life story of Emulous Sanford Written by Addie Sanford Bunn.

-The life story of Carrie Melissa Sanford Dayley compiled from a brief account in her own words and remembrances from Vyla Dayley Frost and Rhoda Marie Keaton Dayley.

-Other information came from genealogical records.